CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Postgraduate Programme in “Bioinformatics”
Academic Year 2017-2018
The Faculty of Medicine of the University of Crete organizes the Postgraduate MSc Programme in "Bioinformatics". The programme leads to the award of a Master's of Science degree (M.Sc.) in "Bioinformatics" after the successful completion of four (4) academic semesters. The MSc in Bioinformatics aims at a highly competitive, interdisciplinary and international audience. Lectures and practical classes will be taught in English by professors of the University of Crete Faculties of Medicine, Biology, Computer Science and Mathematics as well as by experienced researchers from FORTH (Crete) and HCMR Research Centres.The programme is full-time and attendance is mandatory.
The Programme's organizing committee invites applications from graduates of various disciplines including: a) Biomedical Sciences (Biology, Biochemistry, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacology etc), b) Natural Sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Material Science),c) Mathematics and Computer Science, d) Engineers.
- A completed Application Form, which is available here http://www.med.uoc.gr/sites/all/arxeia/metaptyxiaka/metaptyxiaka-pms/pmsviopliroforiki-aitisi.doc
- Photocopy of the University Degree. If the degree has not been awarded at the time of application, a document issued by the School/Department Secretariat certifying that all the obligations for graduation have been fulfilled must be provided Applicants with a University Degree from non-Greek Universities will be asked to provide a “degree equivalence” certificate by the Hellenic National Academic Recognition Information Centre (http://www.doatap.gr/en/index.php)
- A certified Transcript of Records over the course of the undergraduate studies
- A detailed CV, which will include information on the education, research or professional activity, potential scientific work and interests of the candidate
- A one-page free-formatted expression of interest, where the candidate will briefly present himself and state the reasons for applying
- Two letters of recommendation
- Documentation that proves sufficient knowledge (level B2) of the English language.
Candidates will be considered by a selection committee
The selection will be based on the following criteria:
- The overall grade of the University Degree,
- The grades in undergraduate courses relevant to the Programme's scope,
- The relevance of undergraduate thesis project(s) (if applicable),
- Relevant research activity of the candidate,
- The assessment of the letters of recommendation,
- Documentation of sufficient knowledge of English,
- Prizes and scholarships awarded to the applicant by the time of application,
- Interview performance
The interviews will take place in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete on May 23rd, 2017. The exact hour and place will be announced at a later date.
For any additional information please visit the website
The Director of the Program
Professor Nektarios Tavernarakis
The Dean of the School of Health Sciences
Professor George Kontakis